Friday, February 25, 2011

Finland and liberality (or not)

Read yesterday an article in HBL about how being an homosexual is usually not a valid reason to apply for asylum in Finland. Well I don't want to speculate now in what is right or wrong when giving people asylum in this country but what caught my attention was that homosexuality was considered a crime in Finland until 1971 and a sickness until 1981! That is only three years before I was born :-O

I thought I was living in a liberal country with Finland being the third country in the world and first country in Europe to give women voting right in 1906.

Well everyday you learn something...

Personally I have never really understood how people care to put so much enery into what is right and wrong when it comes to colour of skin, race or sexuality. What does it matter if it a nice person?

Read the artle in swedish here:

MÄNSKLIGA RÄTTIGHETER | Homo ingen grund för asyl




No comments:

Post a Comment