Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Voting

So far we have been fine, Faro and I, alone at home. We had a long walk today to Munkkivuori so I could go vote, the pre-voting for the Parliament elections started today.

I cannot say I have been worried about how any elections will end up before, but this time it doesn't feel quite ok all the demonstrations and writings against Swedish speaking and foreigners in this country during the pre-election period. Suddenly I have the insight that the political climate might not be the same after these elections and this might have an impact on things I've taken for granted.

So for supporting tolerance and openness I'll post this song that some Finnish-Swedish artists made in "We are the World"-spirit:




Vår tid, Vårt land means Our time, Our country. The Finnish national anthem is actually called "Vårt land, Vårt land" and the original text was written in Swedish by a Swedish speaking Finn, Johan Ludvig Runeberg. I wonder if the Finnish speakers ever reflect over this when they sing the translated version.

Anyway, please vote smart and please do vote (if you are a Finnish citizen that is). Pre-voting period from today until 12th April and the voting day is 17th April.

No comments:

Post a Comment