Thursday, July 7, 2011

Agility unofficial competition

We had our first agility competition with Faro yesterday.(unofficial and for beginners but I was still super nervous). It was also only a jump track which means it included only jumps and tunnels.

Faro lost his concentration pretty quickly and went smelling the judge and when finally coming back to me he jumped one of the jumps the wrong way which means we were disqualified. After that it went ok again although he is too fast for me and as I cannot yet instruct him from far he was not very happy with my guiding him:D It looks so easy with the small dogs when they run slower than you walk almost! Not that I would never-ever trade Faro for any smaller thing! We just have to work on this :)

Have to say that before we got onto the track though I was super duper proud of how relatively calm Faro was behaving. I thought he might have become mental like as a puppy but there was definitely worse dogs and he was still on top of things once we got started.

Another thing he does well is sitting down waiting before we start. It seems it's a common problem that dogs start before the owner gives permission as they are so excited and this can be bad if one is not ready to guide the dog.

So it seems we have to work on Faro's concentration and on how I can guide him from afar (probably far behind that is). So the vocal commands needs to be in order.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment