Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Fear of the Dark

I thought I wasn't scared of the dark but now when we live on the country-side I realize that it was never really dark in Helsinki, not even during this time of the year. There was always street-lamps to hang on to, even in the little forest and in the little park behind and in front of our building. I shouldn't be suprised though as I've grown up in the country-side.

Now though, if I can avoid it I don't go out with Faro when it has become dark but sometimes I have to, and if so it is of importance to take the road to the right because there is less forest on that side. When I can't see a damn thing I prefer to at least have open space (the fields) around me instead of forest. I know that it's silly but it's not really my rational side thinking, and possibly I should even have been more scared in Helsinki because what am I really gonna meet in the forest here? A deer is probably on the top of that list, which is acctually a lot less scary than most dodgy people in Helsinki.

Well, at least Faro is not scared and does not get bored of the same path, because every day there is new smells. I take the other direction of the road or go to the forest when I have the opportunity to take him out during the light hours.

The gear when we go out in the darkness:

Faro has a reflective west and a reflective collar.

Same goes for us minus the collar but plus some other reflexes. (Stefan in this case) Stefan also brings a little flashlight that he puts on when a car drives past (or when we see/hear something, usually Faro is the one who notices the deers or cats or whatever first in the dark).

And finally some road pics just to illustrate the pitch black for you :-)

Road to the right:

Road to the left:

No comments:

Post a Comment